Thursday, December 2, 2010

Don't blame the camera

A year ago I believed I had outgrown my camera and I knew my pictures could be better but it was my equipment holding me back. Looking back I'm actually glad I was "stuck" with the camera I had because it forced me to be more creative and practice more. As I did, my work got better and I realized it was me that was lacking not my camera.

6 months ago I took my first HDR photo and it was horrible. I immediately blamed my camera but once again it was me that was at fault.

 I wonder how often people upgrade their equipment thinking it will fix bad pictures when actually their lack of experience and  their unwillingness to practice is the true problem. As I browse Craigslist and Ebay and see the amount of high end cameras for sale, I wonder how many of them where purchased because someone thought it would magically make them a better photographer.

I took this picture with an 8mp Canon Rebel XT using a Sigma 10-20mm. It will be the last picture I take with this lens because it will have a new owner tonight. I will have a new camera soon and I wanted to remember what lots of hard work and practice looked like through my favorite lens on my highly capable Rebel XT.



Before you trade in your camera for the latest greatest thing, remember you are the one taking the pictures not the camera.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment