Wednesday, February 23, 2011

WOWed at the Savannah Bee Company

Several days ago I was walking around down town with my camera in hand and I made my way into a store on Broughton St. When I pulled open the screen door that stood between me and my curiosity I realized this was no ordinary store. I found myself singing "I'm just a little black rain cloud...." as I walked in but snapped out of it as soon as I was greeted by a member of the staff.

  The first thing I noticed was an enormous bee hive that stood in the middle of the store and although not easy, I fought of the urge to get inside and play. After looking around for several minutes I asked if they sold raw honey. Well I might as well have asked if their honey was made by bees. Yes they did have raw honey and lots of it.

My attention was turned to the bar where I saw several different types of honey in bottles and I knew what was about to go down. I have done coffee tastings and wine tastings in my day but I was not prepared for what I was about to be a part of. You guessed it, a honey tasting. I was always under the impression there is either honey or there is not, but on this day I was about to find out there is honey and a wide variety of it. So with miniature spoon in hand I began to understand what the Savannah Bee Company was all about.

I tried 5 or 6 different flavors of honey but one stood out above the rest. It was as if the honey grabbed my taste buds and said, "listen here punk, I'm going home with you tonight". I cant even describe what I tasted but if I had to try Id say it was a spicy but sweet taste, very complex. It was called "raw sourwood honey" and it is amazing.

raw sourwood tasty goodness


I grabbed a bottle and handed my $15 to the girl at the register. I took my receipt and thanked her and was on my way.

If you guys get a chance to make it to the Savannah Bee Company downtown, do yourselves a favor and pick up a bottle of raw sourwood honey. Make sure to tell them Mark sent ya. If they ask who Mark is just tell them some guy with a camera and a new love for honey.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment